Sunday 9 February 2014

Part 6 of a 6 part series. Click here for part 5 or here to go to the start


In my last post in the series on Paul's Charge to Timothy, we looked at being ready in season.  I alluded to the fact that we are currently living in a season where the Word of God and especially the sharing of the Gospel is inconvenient.  Yet we are to preach the message whether it is convenient or not.  In this short post we will wrap things up by looking at the whole context of Paul's instruction and how very relevant it is for today.

I mentioned back in Part 2 that sometimes reproof and rebuking can be a healthy thing.  At the time you probably thought I was crazy for suggesting that, but now can you see what I meant? 

When I began my teaching ministry I was prayerfully considering what I would preach on.  My head was swimming with ideas and styles, but the Holy Spirit kept prompting me with one thing – Teach them about Jesus.

To do that I had to study the Word to learn about Jesus.  That led me closer to him.  I knew about Him but I am still learning to know Him and will one day die still not knowing everything about him, if that makes sense.  I wanted others to know Him as well, and not just to know about Him. 

I spend a lot of time warning everyone about the dangers of the mythical cults and other religious fallacies that are in Vanuatu today (and worldwide), I could not hope to prove them myths unless I first revealed the truth.  You cannot do that to an unbeliever without sharing the Gospel.  Sadly though, it is also necessary to also do the same to wavering believers too – and there are many, simply because they do not find the truth themselves. 

It then struck me that everywhere I turned I could see myths spread by false teachers sharing their false doctrines and leading many astray.  The initial contending that I was having with the Mormon infestation was merely the tip of the iceberg.  I asked God what I should do, and the answer came that it was not for me to conquer these false doctrines, but His – and He will!  But that these heretics would not be able to steal the sheep if the sheep could discern for themselves.  But to do that they needed to be taught the true message that is the Word of God!

The gospel message is simple yet forms the crux of a person’s belief (crux by the way is Latin for cross but in English is appropriately means root, core, or heart. There you go- something new!)  The gospel works on the unbeliever and the believer alike. The message has never changed, because to change God’s Message is to change God’s Word, and to change God’s word is to change God.

Heb 6:17-20 (NET)
In the same way God wanted to demonstrate more clearly to the heirs of the promise that his purpose was unchangeable, and so he intervened with an oath,
 so that we who have found refuge in him may find strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us through two unchangeable things, since it is impossible for God to lie.
 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, sure and steadfast, which reaches inside behind the curtain,
 where Jesus our forerunner entered on our behalf, since he became a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.

The LORD’s decisions stand forever; his plans abide throughout the ages. (Ps 33:11)

And that, my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, is why I wrote this series.  So I am exhorting you, the Christian believer to do the same as Paul instructed Timothy.  Many of you may not get the opportunity to preach to a crowd, and you may even be horrified at the thought, but remember Peter’s advice – at the very least, be prepared to give an answer to those that are seeking.

Central to all that I have talked about hinges on understanding God’s Word.  If you are one person who loves new things, try reading and praying daily in the Word of God.  For most that will be a new experience. 
I admit that as a young man, I used to find that boring which may come as a relief to those of you who feel the same way and a shock for others!  But once you truly get into it, the Word opens up in ways you never thought possible.  If you want are addicted to new things, try it!  God can reveal something new every day to you if you but just seek.  He did it for me!

If you have a computer or smartphone, try and download some bible software.  It makes getting deep into the Word of God much more easy.  I personally use bible software from theword.net on my laptop and I use “MySword for Android” on my tablet and phone (through Google Play or click the link ). Its good because you can use it offline and therefore take your tablet or phone to Church.  (I get strange looks when I am sitting there during the "Praise and Worship" before speaking looking and typing on my phone.  They must think I am texting!) I am not sure of what is good for iPad/iPhone so perhaps those that own one can comment.

Be a Berean and search the scriptures daily to find out if what I have said is true. Search the scriptures daily to see if what your pastor says is true, or what the author of the book you are reading says is true.
For you cannot hope to understand truth from myth without searching the scriptures. 

False Teachers

So we conclude this study by turning my attention to one of the main context of the letters to Timothy – False teachers.  I am not going to write much here but simply use the Word of God to speak while I add subtexts:
Matt 7:15-16 (NET)
“Watch out for false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are voracious wolves.
You will recognize them by their fruit. Grapes are not gathered from thorns or figs from thistles, are they?
How do you know what is good and bad fruit? –BE A BEREAN AND STUDY GOD’S WORD DAILY!

2Cor 11:13-15 (NET)
For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.
And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
Therefore it is not surprising his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will correspond to their actions.

How do you know recognise deception? –First recognise the truth  - How do you recognise truth? - BE A BEREAN AND STUDY GOD’S WORD DAILY!

1Tim 6:20 (NET)
O Timothy, protect what has been entrusted to you. Avoid the profane chatter and absurdities of so-called “knowledge.”
What “knowledge” is absurd and how do you avoid it? - BE A BEREAN AND STUDY GOD’S WORD DAILY!

1John 4:1-2 (NET)
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses Jesus as the Christ who has come in the flesh is from God,
How can you test the spirits? This is discernment, but discern what and how – To know what is actually meant by Jesus IS the Christ you must - BE A BEREAN AND STUDY GOD’S WORD DAILY!

1 Tim 6:3 (NET)
If someone spreads false teachings and does not agree with sound words (that is, those of our Lord Jesus Christ) and with the teaching that accords with godliness,
What are the sound words Paul is telling Timothy about? – God’s word's which you will find in the bible!

Finally, the words of Jesus, who again ties in the appearance of false prophets with an exhortation that the person who endures to the end will be saved. But note that this is immediately followed by the prophetic word that the gospel message (that Paul was talking to Timothy about) will be preached to the whole inhabited earth.  Without a sound grounding in God’s Word you will find endurance impossible.
Matt 24:11-14 (NET)
And many false prophets will appear and deceive many,
and because lawlessness will increase so much, the love of many will grow cold.
But the person who endures to the end will be saved.
And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the whole inhabited earth as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

For the Glory of God my Father, in the name of Jesus Christ my Saviour and Master, and in the fellowship of the Holy Spirit my comforter.

Dan

[The last post in this series is a small game that I want you to play,. It may be useful to use in bible study sessions or home group meetings.  The objective is to get you to study the Word in a fun way, especially if you are finding it difficult to study the Bible. - Click here for the game]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Personal attacks are not permitted. If you would not say your comment directly to the person, do not write it! The Word of God (Bible) can be used for exhortation, reproving, and rebuking (unsound doctrine) (2 Tim 4:2) so when challenging a viewpoint be sure to support your reproof or rebuke with scripture.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.